Thursday, September 1, 2011

Catching Up

Wow, almost 2 months gone by and I haven't even realized it and left this page unattended.  It was a busy summer for sure.  It's too short and a lot of fun. :)

We enjoyed the time that we spent seeing relatives and friends at sister in law's wedding.  We definitely enjoyed the time that we spent together @ KS with mom.  I truly missed my mom and my brother. 

School has started again, Don is now officially a first grader.  I can't believe how fast he's grown.  He's improved a lot on his reading over the year.  I believe he'll do fine in school.  

Megan went from barely crawling since last post to now almost walking in short 2 months.  She also finally got 1 baby tooth.  She still eats like a champ and never seems having enough.  She eats fruits (watermelon or cantaloupe and banana), pork rice porridge with veggies, organic baby yogurt with fruit or avocado everyday.  She loves to eat everything else that we are eating but she's on a pretty good diet with our special homemade baby food for her.

The weather is finally cooling down a bit.  I think I'll start baking again.  I made some rib eye steak, garlic broccoli, mashed potato, and cornmeal muffin couple of days ago.  But we were too hungry so we just ate without taking any picture.  It was pretty good consider both kid and daddy at everything.  
The cornmeal muffin was super easy, I don't think I'll ever go back to Jiffy ever again.


Here's recipe with modification from Sweet Cornbread.

Sweet Cornmeal Muffin
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of butter (2/3 stick)(soften)

Cream both sugar and butter with electric mixer, add egg, salt, mix well, add milk, mix well.
In a separate bowl, mix well flour, cornmeal, baking powder.
Alternate mix wet mixture and dry mixture into another bowl (you can do this mix by hand, I use the electric mixer).
Let the batter sit for few minutes.

Prepare muffin tins, I lined mine with cupcake liners.  Preheat oven to 400F.  Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full (the batter should be enough for 12 regular size muffins).  Bake @400F for 14-17 minutes or until the toothpick insert comes out clean.  I baked mine for 16 minutes.  If you are making mini muffin size, reduce the time to 12-14 minutes.  Keep an eye on it, when it turns golden brown on top, it's ready.  Store in an air tight containers for up to 3 days.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment